We are working closely with a number of discovery services, including WorldCat Local (Knowledge Base), ProQuest (Summons, SerielSolutions), EBSCO (EDS) and ExLibris (Primo), in order to provide collections of Kanopy films. Collections are updated on a quarterly basis.
A challenge with discovery service collections is the difficulty of communicating with them as to the exact films that are available at your library. Each library curates its own film collection with Kanopy and these selections may change over time. The Kanopy MARC record downloader automatically curates your records for export based on your actual live film holdings. Discovery services, on the other hand, cannot immediately know to which films your institution has access.
To find more information on how to use Kanopy through your discovery service, see below:
You can activate Kanopy collections from your WorldCat Knowledgebase.
If you are asked for your "institution ID" in the set up phase, this will be the pseudonym of your library in your Kanopy website. For example, the Kanopy website for UMass Amherst is "http://umass.kanopystreaming.com," so their ID is "umass."
EBSCO Discovery Service (EDS)
EBSCO Discovery Service customers will first need to set up a CustomLink. Instructions on setting up the EDS–Kanopy CustomLink can be found on the EDS Wiki here. Once this is complete:
- Log in to EBSCOadmin at http://eadmin.ebscohost.com.
- Click the Site/Group Maintenance button, then click on Go below CustomLinks.
- Click on Add New CustomLink.
- Select Copy from existing CustomLink and click on Continue.
- Select Full Text from the Category drop down list.
- Click on ++show other available CustomLinks.
- Select EDS - Kanopy .
- In Base URL, replace [INSTITUTION] with your Kanopy Institution ID (the pseudonym of your library in your Kanopy website).
- Under Local Collections for Filter, select the Kanopy collection(s) you would like to surface.
- Complete the remaining fields that meet your library's needs and click Submit.
- Next, add the link to your profile. Click the Customize Services Tab, select your profile and then click the Linking sub-tab.
- Click the Modify link to the right of CustomLinks.
- Click Add New CustomLink and mark the Select box to the left of the “EDS - Kanopy”.
- Click Submit. Your changes will be saved. Repeat steps 10-12 for any other profiles to which you want to add your CustomLink.
If you would prefer to have EBSCO Discovery Solutions Technical Support set up the link for you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to submit your request. You can also contact us with any issues or concerns.
ProQuest - Summons
Kanopy’s films are discoverable in Summons and the 360 Knowledgebase. Log into your Client Center and search for your Kanopy resources with the e-Catalog and add them to Data Management. You can select from the available Kanopy databases relevant to the collection or PDA program you are setting up.
PDA packages are sorted by region (for example, ACQHD - Kanopy PDA - is for US customers turning on the PDA collection), and other collections may be available as well.
When you are viewing the Database Details screen in Data Management, by default the "Display in Summon" box should be checked. Please confirm this, as the checkbox tells Summon whether or not you want items from Kanopy to display in Summon.
ProQuest's Knowledgebase only has the capacity to load titles associated with book and journal content, so all other content types are represented as 0-title databases. When a client selects a 0-title database in client center, their Summon search results will then include every title that is associated with that database. The fact that it lists 0-titles in the databases is therefore misleading as each database has many titles included.
ProQuest notes that you will need to subscribe to a specific regional package for Kanopy and not just the "~JS Kanopy Streaming Service". Please only select a regional package to subscribe to, so as to ensure that you only get the records for titles relevant to your region.
If you are asked for your "institution ID" in the set up phase, this will be the pseudonym of your library in your Kanopy website (e.g. the Kanopy website for UMass Amherst is "http://umass.kanopystreaming.com" - their ID is "umass").
ProQuest - ExLibris Primo and Alma
With these discovery service providers, you can select from the available Kanopy databases relevant to the collection you are setting up (e.g. Kanopy PDA - USA, Kanopy PDA - New Zealand, etc.).
Activating Kanopy resource in the PCI Wizard is required in order to receive Kanopy records in your Primo search results.
If you are asked for your "institution ID" in the set up phase, this will be the pseudonym of your library in your Kanopy website (e.g. The Kanopy website for UMass Amherst is "http://umass.kanopystreaming.com" - and their institution ID is therefore "umass").